Getting your job market materials ready is a job in and of itself. We will give you some tips and share some links below. On later shows we will do a deep dive on individual materials, but for now, we have general tips!
- The earlier you start the better!
- Get feedback from advisors, mentors, and peers!
- Send the documents as a .pdf if you are worried about formatting issues.
- Make sure your doc is error free– double check (especially to make sure you don’t accidentally send things to the wrong place).
- Use the “me, you, we” method for your cover letter!
- Put what you want to emphasize right at the top of your cover letter. Anything that you want them to see should be on the first page.
- Be clear and concise. Avoid common phrases (passionate, excited).
- Do not “pad” your materials. It is better to be short than to embellish.
- Do not change margins or fonts to fit the page. Edit and delete.
- Make sure you are clearly showing them what you can do.
- Try and review market materials for people in a job similar to the one you’d like.
- Don’t apply to jobs you are not actually interested in working at.
- Cater all of your materials to the place you are apply at.
- Examples and evidence used in materials should be from the type of courses they want you to teach!
What are your tips? What sites do you use? Want to keep the discussion going? Hop on over to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!
…And until next time…keep on surviving!