Movin’ on up!
- Try and do online training before the first week of class (FERPA, Inclusion/Diversity, etc.)
- Take notes!
- Enter in campus police numbers in your phone (emergency and non-emergency)
- DO NOT press the panic button, unless you want to meet campus police (just ask Zach!)
- Building Coordinator in case you lock yourself out
- Know that stress is normal
- Maybe AirBNB so you can tour your new town before you make a final choice of where to live
- Make a list and prioritize
- Get a cat!
Things to find on Campus:
- Locate the campus writing center
- Counseling services
- Introduce yourself to your reference librarian
- Know where to find the IT Help Desk
- Campuses often have family friendly
Things to find in town:
- The best BBQ joints
- The coffee houses
- Community parks and rec’s
- Community events- Theater companies, Farmers Markets
- The grocery store
- Things for kids to do
- Services (day care, hair salons, Doctors, Dentist, mechanic, etc.)
Things to keep in mind:
- This is a stressful time.
- It’s ok if you are nervous.
- It’s ok if you are a bit sad and not loving this new change.
- Know yourself- don’t worry. You will settle in.
For New Faculty (From @shamuskahn on twitter):
- You will not get a ton of progress done the first year
- You need to lay the foundation down the first year
- Prep mini lectures- three 15 min blocks
- Don’t be the new person with
- Don’t take on grad students
- Set clear boundaries w/email and office hours
- Having a life should be you top priority
- Don’t get in long email exchanges during the day
- Still set writing goals and write every day
- Find your people- grow your network
- Set up mental health check in’s with friends
Do no worry! You got this!